Sunday, February 12, 2017

Rough week!

This past week has been a rough one!  It actually started out well-going to Zone Training Meetings, which are always awesome.  We were able to attend the Calgary North Zone's meeting, and it just invigorated us to once again hear these missionaries teach and train each other.  The future of the church is in good hands as these young adults grow to become the leaders.  They really are amazing.
Then on Wednesday we were headed to the Confederation Park Zone training meeting when we received a call that one of our elders in BC had broken his femur and they were waiting for the ambulance to take him to the hospital.  We arrived at the building for the zone training meeting, and when we received word that this break would require surgery and the insertion of a rod in his leg, we decided we needed to head to BC.  So we left the meeting and went back home to pack a couple of things and head out.  We arrived in BC about 8:00 p.m. thinking we would make it in time to see this elder before the surgery.  Well, we got there, and found him, and they kept putting his surgery off because more serious cases had come in.  Finally about midnight the surgeon came in and said he felt it was best to postpone surgery until the morning because he was tired, and he didn't feel good about performing surgery in that condition.  We agreed of course!  So, the poor elder had to wait until about 9:00 the next morning before going in.  His surgery went well, but he is still in the hospital recovering, and we are hopeful he will be out in 2-3 days.  After we got things squared away with him- with his companion, and the ward ready to look after him, we had to leave to get to Lethbridge for Steve's coordinating council meeting with Elder Evanson and all the stake presidents in the south of our mission.  We didn't know if we would even be able to get out of Cranbrook because the weather conditions were so poor, and roads had been closed due to accidents. BC has had a record year for snow--it is piled so high in that city on the sides of the roads, and on Wednesday night while we were there it snowed about another 10 inches.  But a sister who works in the transportation department phoned us and said that all accidents had been cleared, and if we left in 15 minutes we would be able to get out of Crowsnest Pass before they closed it.  So, we did!  And let me tell you, there were some horrendous driving conditions!  At one point we were on complete ice.  It was white knuckle driving, and I was glad it was Steve driving and not me.  But we made it to Lethbridge only about  30 minutes late.  That meeting ended about 9:30 and we headed back to Calgary and got home about 11:45p p.m.
Friday morning we had our meeting for our new trainers who will be training the new missionaries coming this Tuesday.  We have 10 new ones coming and are excited to get them here in our mission.
Saturday and Sunday we participated in the Calgary West Stake Conference with Elder Peter Meurs of the Seventy as the General Authority who came.  It was great to meet he and his wife.  He was just newly called last April--so they left their home in Australia and moved to SLC.  I have such admiration for these couples that just leave their homes to go serve the Lord wherever they are asked.
It was a great stake conference with a wonderful spirit there.  President Steele, the stake president, spoke about our need to be able to listen to the spirit, and to find time to be still and let the spirit speak to us so we can be guided.  He reminded us that the spirit always speaks the truth--so if we can learn to recognize it, we will always know what we need to do.  It was such a good talk, and reminded me that I need to find the ways to access the spirit more in my life.
I learn so much at stake conferences.  It really is a blessing to be in so many of them.
We are excited for transfer week this week coming up!  It's always a fun, busy week!
Calgary North Zone surrounding Elder Boss for his birthday- he is front left!

Sister Zimmerman blowing out a candle for her birthday at the New Trainers  Meeting.

Saying good-by to Sister Jakobi before she goes home to Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment